Sunday, May 12, 2019

BOOK REVIEW: The People We Hate at the Wedding by Grant Ginder

BOOK REVIEW: The People We Hate at the Wedding by Grant Ginder

Book: The People We Hate at the Wedding
Author: Grant Ginder
Publisher: Flatiron Books, an imprint of Macmillan
Year First Published: 2017
ISBN: 9781250095206
Genre: contemporary fiction, dysfunctional family


Pairs well with a flute of champagne,
chocolate covered strawberries,
and a fainting couch.

I had really high hopes for The People We Hate at the Wedding by Grant Ginder, and although I did enjoy reading it, it wasn’t as stellar as I wanted it to be – maybe because I saw some of myself in each of the main characters? Maybe I didn’t like what I saw?

Whatever the reason, I do think this is a worthy read, regardless. The book centers around a brother and sister, their mom, and their half-sister. None of them are particularly nice, but they are all written in a manner that makes them painfully human and real.

First, there’s Alice. She used to be carefree and up-and-coming until a personal loss – a tragedy, really – sent her fleeing from real life into a pseudo-existence in Los Angeles where she (and if she were a real person, I think she’d agree) became a cliché. And, she’s doing her best to avoid dealing with her loss, even if it means pushing others away.

Second, we have Paul. Paul and Alice are brother and sister. Paul has all kinds of relationship issues ranging from a manipulative boyfriend to an overly protective mother to a father that wasn’t at all the person Paul thought his dad to be.

Next, we come to Eloise. Eloise is posh and poised. She’s Paul and Alice’s older sister – nay, half-sister – and they never really let her forget the “half” part of that equation. Eloise is the one getting married and Paul and Alice revel in picking apart every aspect of the wedding plans. For Eloise, outward appearances are almost everything, and she spends extensive amounts of time second guessing herself in order to put on an outer shell, masking what might be a rich inner life. She just wants everyone to be happy.

Then, we come to the matriarch – Donna. On the one hand, Donna is a great mom. She loves all of her children deeply and thoroughly and would do just about anything to protect them. On the other hand, I think she’s tired and just wants her kids to grow up already and to find happiness. She tries very hard to help them, but at the same time she has her own issues to deal with related to a failed marriage to Eloise’s dad (he’s charming, but a cad) and with the death of Alice and Paul’s father who turns out not to be quite what Paul thought he was.

Grant Ginder managed to write characters that are so real that I think most of us will see ourselves or those we know in these people.

And, while I mentioned that The People We Hate at the Wedding wasn’t all I had hoped it would be, the very last several pages redeem any shortcomings. Ginder ties up all the loose ends and pulls it all together in a satisfying manner that had me smiling and thinking, “Yes. These people are real and I so want them to carry on with one another and to keep trying to be the people they want each other to be.” Ginder doesn’t give us a “happily ever after” ending, but one that is real and satisfying. I definitely recommend The People We Hate at the Wedding for this alone (although the rest of it is worth reading too!).

What was the last book you read that left you satisfied and glad you’d read it, even if it wasn’t what you’d hoped it would be? Drop a comment and let me know! 

While I found The People We Hate at the Wedding at my local library, you can also find it on Amazon HERE.






No comments:

Post a Comment